AMERICA OUR COUNTRY!

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Be Prepared And Know Your Labels

Part of preparing is understanding and reading labels applied to everything we use and eat. Each product that is sold has some form of labelling indicating what the product is made from and where.
By educating yourself and becoming aware of what goes into our foods helps us to better understand and make the right choices into what and how we eat.

Moderation is always a key factor in how much of anything we do and or eat according to our own well being and good health. In regards to food, I am adamant and unyielding in having a knowledgeable repertoire of what exactly goes into the product and how it will affect my health.

It helps to know what aspartame is and what it's derived from. Sodium nitrite is another ingredient that I also try my best to avoid at all costs. These few key ingredients that companies use in their products are cancer causing agents. The new e-cigarette's being sold for $100 a pop, have not been approved by the FDA and contains a chemical ingredient they use in anti-freeze. The FDA is currently trying to find a way to take them off the market.

I have been an habitual label reader for many years, even my pet food is scrutinized. Ever since that pet food recall incident a couple years back, I became vigilant in what goes in their food. I found healthy recipes for pets that I could cook and serve them without feeling what they could succumb to, a painful prolonged way of dying.

I researched the top brands of pet foods and companies that sold them in the nation and found that there was only about ten or so of them worthy enough of my hard earned cash, worthy enough to give me a sense of peace of mind to my pets overall well being and health. The expense was well worth the price of avoiding endless vet visits of trying to repair a delicate and intricate animals digestive system. To see my pets suffer would only drain me in my pocket book and lose myself in sadness on so many levels, knowing that I could have prevented this harmful thing from the beginning.

These top brands are only located in specialty pet shops, you won't find them in your grocer, Sam's Club or nearest Costco's. Petco carries a few of them. I will list the brands and websites so you may research it in your own time. Here's a few I can think of off the top of my head.


The Blue Buffalo Company
Canidae all natural holistic dog food
Wellness
California Natural
Old Mother Hubbard
Evo
Halo purely for pets

We can't possibly eliminate all harmful ingredients in our foods, mainly because the damage has already been done-so to speak. But what we can do is try to educate ourselves about the harmful effects of what is in our foods. And in knowing these important factors we have the amunnition to prevent certain diseases and outcomes. This is an aspect of physical preparedness.

This is why I always urge my family and friends to read the labels and get to know everything they can about all the ingredients. The government won't tell us these things nor will the companies. Fast food chains don't really want you to know, because that is how they make their money on fast food addiction.

I choose to prepare and make my own healthy meals.
I use a lot of natural herbs and spices for flavoring, a lot of vegetables have flavoring as well.
I try my best to insure what I make is as healthy as possible. That's the best we can do.
Once again, know your labels.

0 comments: